Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing #16

Wiki's - scary word - new technology scares me when I first start to use it. I know, I know. But, this one has easily become less scary. It's as easy as MySpace. It's like a blog that lots of people get to play with.

Hmmm. How can I use this in my library? Below is an example of how a teacher used a Wiki in her literature circles in a 5th grade classroom for Peter Lerangis's 39 Clues. My library is for a student body of pre-K-4th. As a person who has never taught these grades, I am unfamiliar with their capabilities on computers and around technology. I have a daughter starting 4th, but I don't think she is a good representation of the school, seeing how she has been playing on the computer literally her whole life, only about 10% of the student body at my new school has both a computer and internet access at home. I could see her using a wiki. Maybe if I start Top 10 page suggested in Thing #16 for the 2nd-4th graders. In 2nd grade, I could do it with them, in 3rd, they could do it together in the library and in 4th, I could allow them to get on it whenever they want. I think I like that idea. Or, they could Wiki abotu the Blue Bonnet books. I could have each book have a different link on the site, and students could post their opinions for each book! I like that idea a lot.

http://www.classroomofthefuture.org/2009inspire-video.asp

No comments: